11.13.2006

Home again, home again....

So. This past weekend, we went to the ancestral home of Thisbe, to visit the wee kraken's doting Grammy & Big Pop.

Long car ride, to get to the ancestral home. On the plus side, the long car ride always features amusing small town idiosyncrasies (a storage facility with (what appears to be) a giant paper mache beaver out front -- store your things here! Or I will gnaw down a tree in front of you!).

Also, I was quite pleased because I am a HUGE fan of my hometown college basketball team, and this past weekend they played my actual college team at the hometown arena. I LOVE going to games there (Childhood memories! Daddy buys me sports stuff! I get to yell at strangers without repercussions!). Also, Big Pop purchased the wee kraken's first sports outfit for our team (and a matching hat for Thisbe). I am extremely excited to suit her up to watch the games with me. Since PBB (Thisbe's husband, and father of the wee kraken) hates sports, I am thrilled to have created my own companion for watching the games.

Also, I am consistently fascinated with how many people we know when we go out anywhere in the ancestral hometown. When we were first married, PBB & I would go there, and we could not go anywhere without Big Pop knowing someone, and that trend has continued. PBB was completely amazed every time it happened, and vowed that he too would have this sort of local notoriety in years to come. And although I used to take it for granted (since I lived it for 18 years), I am starting to be equally amazed, and also amazed that this trend has extended to the rest of the family. For example, wee kraken & I went out with Grammy for all of 2 hours and ran into 2 people she/I know. At dinner, we saw another family friend, at the game we saw another guy Big Pop knows. I run into someone I know here perhaps once a month, although usually under hilarious circumstances.* And it is not as though we live in a particularly big town.

Today's project: I expected to make major headway on Pink Sweater Project #2 this weekend, what with all of the car time, but forgot to factor in my love of sleeping in the car. So, I got almost nothing done.

Today's life observation: You can go home again. Really. And if you are lucky, your parents will treat you to dinner.

*My favorite example of this is when PBB had such a severe headache that we had to take him to the emergency room, and who should we see there? Our neighbor, who we lovingly refer to as "Loud Guy", because 1) He is loud, and 2) he is a "close talker". You can just imagine how happy PBB was to have that kind of extra support in his time of need.

No comments: